Monday 22 February 2010

ALMANAC

i write it all down in my almanac
relevant miscellany
irreverent ephemera too
a volume of minutiae
a journal as a life slips by
all itemised in my almanac

the hours are history
the seconds are a mystery
the minutes make some kind of sense
a serendipity
an epiphany
a record of the events

i always carry around my almanac
you never know when lightning might strike
a memorable turn of phrase
images that brightly blaze
across the pages of my almanac

the dates and the places
the names and the faces
the headline-makers
the movers and the shakers
the sober and the trivial
the witty and satirical
the belly dancers
the questions without answers

almanac
almanac
cluttered pages of bricabrac
oh it keeps me sane!

i really go to town on my almanac
i never let it out of my sight
glittering spangles in the sky
a room awash in milky light
all larger than life in my almanac

a radical philosophy
a puzzling dichotomy
a smart analogy
a brainwave that occurs to me
the beauty and the majesty
the horror and the travesty
the dreams and the memories
the problems and the remedies

the empirical
the metaphysical
the magical
the mystical
the flowing and the lyrical
the fanciful and whimsical
the allegorical
the phantasmagorical

i got a memory hole
i've lost the thread
there's a buried train of thought
deep in my head

almanac
almanac
better than any aphrodisiac
oh it dulls my pain!

No comments: