Monday 29 March 2010

THE IDIOCIES OF MARCH

"i write it all down in my almanac
a volume of minutiae
a journal as a life slips by"
since my last almanacal addition
four weeks have flashed by in a blur
just like a lunatic driver
taking his chances
down a one-way street
so here they are
the ides of march
milestones relentlessly advance and recede
the spring equinox has come and gone
the clocks have yielded up an hour of dawn calm
to the evening's cool softness
little green shoots pierce the damp earth
huge clumsy bumble bees take wing
but i nearly didn't make it
so close to being the trophy
to catch the gleam in his eye...
it's the end of a long day outdoors
i am trapped
a lone two-wheeler
stranded among the gridlock
of the after-school crush
dust in my eyes
petrol exhaust in my face
a wall of vehicles blocking my path
the lights go red
i make a dash for it
to avoid the roundabout
duck down a side-road by the three horseshoes
i spot a gap in the traffic
launch myself forwards
and suddenly find myself
the meat in a metal sandwich
one lunatic driver accelerates off the roundabout
another car overtakes into the gap
in vain i apply the brakes
my front wheel buckles
the camera freeze-frames
i am airborne
looking up at the sky
my bicycle is flying through the air
my silver saddlebags are flung in opposite directions
i seem to hang suspended
then suddenly i'm lying on my back on the road
wondering if i'm alive or dead
picking myself up
and dusting myself down
to preserve my dignity
i discover that i am indeed alive
alive, kicking and miraculously unscathed

2 comments:

Adam said...

Thought you might enjoy this. Let me know if you want the mp3 to listen to on the move.

----------------------------
Governments might legitimately exercise emergency powers in wartime so, argues Prof James Lovelock, they should have similar powers to deal with the threat of global warming - even if that means abandoning democracy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sfwtc/Analysis_Doomed_by_Democracy/

Anonymous said...

Well described. You must have been flung off your bike for real!